AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION SERVICE GROUP
Technical Service Information
Copyright © 2002 ATSG
518 CENTER SUPPORT ASSEMBLY
520 2ND CLUTCH PISTON ASSEMBLY
521 2ND CLUTCH PISTON RETURN SPRING ASSEMBLY
522 2ND CLUTCH RETURN SPRING RETAINER SNAP RING
537 2ND CLUTCH RETURN SPRING RETAINER
CENTER SUPPORT (CONT'D)
17. Lubricate the 2nd clutch piston seals with a
small amount of Trans-Jel® and install the
2nd clutch piston into the center support, as
shown in Figure 140.
18. Remove the lip seal protectors.
19. Install the 2nd clutch return spring assembly,
as shown in Figure 140.
20. Install the return spring retainer and snap ring
on top of the return spring (See Figure 140).
21. Place center support on foot press, compress
return spring and retainer, and install the snap
ring ensuring that it is fully seated.
22. Install the 2nd clutch "Wave" plate into center
support, as shown in Figure 141.
23. Install the 2nd clutch "single sided" plates
beginning with an outside spline plate first
and alternating with inside spline plates until
you have installed 5 of each (See Figure 141).
Note: Lined side must be installed facing up,
as shown in Figure 141. Clutch plate
amounts may vary by model. This set
of clutch plates are not used at all in
the "4L40-E" models.
24. Install the 2nd clutch backing plate, as shown
in Figure 142.
25. Install the "Selective" backing plate snap ring,
as shown in Figure 141, and ensure that snap
ring is fully seated against the top of snap ring
groove in the center support.
Continued on Page 90