AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION SERVICE GROUP
Technical Service Information
Copyright © 2002 ATSGCopyright © 2002 ATSG
518 CENTER SUPPORT ASSEMBLY
519 CAGED NEEDLE BEARING ASSEMBLY
Figure 132 Figure 133
1. Dis-assemble the center support using Figures
130 and 131 as a guide.
2. Clean all center support parts thoroughly and
dry with compressed air.
3. Inspect all center support parts thoroughly
for the following:
o Plugged feed passages
o Damaged or worn splines
o Damaged or worn springs
o Damaged or worn pistons
o Damaged or worn clutch plates
4. Replace the caged needle bearing as necessary,
using the proper puller and proper diameter
installer (See Figure 132).
5. Install J-45136 and J-45140 lip seal protectors,
as shown in Figure 133, on low/reverse side.
Note: These tools are mandatory to prevent
damage to the L/R piston seals.
6. Lubricate the low/reverse clutch piston seals
with small amount of Trans-Jel® and install the
low/reverse clutch piston in the center support,
as shown in Figure 134.
7. Remove the lip seal protectors.
8. Install the low/reverse clutch "Bellville" return
spring, as shown in Figure 134.