AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION SERVICE GROUP
Technical Service Information
401 REVERSE/DIRECT CLUTCH HOUSING ASSEMBLY
415 REVERSE CLUTCH APPLY PLATE (LIP FACING UP)
416 REVERSE CLUTCH "WAVE" PLATE
Copyright © 2002 ATSG
DIRECT AND REVERSE CLUTCH HOUSING (CONT'D)
20. Install the reverse clutch apply plate with the
lip facing up, as shown in Figure 81.
21. Install the reverse clutch "Wave" plate on top
of the apply plate, as shown in Figure 81.
22. Install the reverse clutch "single sided" plates
beginning with an outside spline plate first and
alternating with inside plates until you have
installed 2 of each, as shown in Figure 82.
Note: Lined side must be installed facing up
as shown in Figure 82. Clutch plate
amounts may vary by model.
23. Install the reverse clutch backing plate on top
of the last inside spline plate, as shown in
24. Install the "Selective" backing plate snap ring
as shown in Figure 82, and ensure that the snap
ring is fully seated against the top of the snap
ring groove in reverse housing.
25. Install dial indicator on top of reverse clutch
backing plate, as shown in Figure 83, and zero
the dial indicator.
26. Reverse clutch clearance should be:
0.98 mm (.039") to 1.43 mm (.056"). Change
the "Selective" backing plate snap ring as
necessary to achieve proper clutch clearance.
27. Set the completed Direct/Reverse Clutch
Housing aside for the final assembly process.
Component Rebuild Section
Continued on Page 59