AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION SERVICE GROUP
Technical Service Information
Copyright © 2002 ATSG
22 PL ANETARY CARRIER TO OUTPUT SHAFT THRUST BEARING
23 OUTPUT SHAFT AND INTERNAL RING GEAR ASSEMBLY
5L40-E ONLY4L40-E ONLY
47. Remove the planetary internal ring gear and
output shaft along with the thrust bearing, as
shown in Figure 54. We have illustrated both
the 4L40-E and the 5L40-E in Figure 54.
48. Rotate the transmission so that the pan surface
is facing up to prepare for removing manual
shaft and manual shaft seal.
1. This transmission has 2 different manual shaft
configurations, as shown in Figures 55 and 56.
The models shown in Figure 55 is for right
hand drive vehicles and the models shown in
Figure 56 is for left hand drive vehicles.
2. Use Figure 55 or Figure 56, depending on the
model you are working, as a guide to remove
the manual shaft to replace the manual shaft
3. Inspect the transmission case for the following:
o Damaged threads that may need Heli-Coil®.
o Gasket sealing surfaces for damage.
o Damaged or porous fluid passages.
o Snap ring grooves for damage.
o Pressure test plug threads for damage.
o Fluid level plug threads for damage.
4. Clean the transmission case thoroughly and dry
with compressed air.
5. Install a new manual shaft seal using the proper
seal driver and re-install the manual linkage
using Figure 55 or Figure 56.
6. Re-install the transmission case into the fixture
and rotate so that the case front is facing up.
COMPONENT REBUILD SECTION
Continued on Page 45