AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION SERVICE GROUP
Technical Service Information
Copyright © 2002 ATSG
25 EXTENSION HOUSING TO MAIN CASE GASKET
27 OUTPUT SHAFT BEARING THRUST WASHER (SELECTIVE)
29 EXTENSION HOUSING ASSEMBLY
TRANSMISSION ASSEMBLY (CONT'D)
3. Replace the caged needle bearings in extension
housing as necessary using the proper pullers
4. Install the output shaft to extension housing
thrust bearing (28), by hand pressing into the
bore, as shown in Figure 206.
5. The output shaft bearing thrust washer (27) is
"Selective" and measurements are required to
determine proper thickness to set rear end-play.
6. Place gaging bar across case extension housing
gasket surface, as shown in Figure 207.
7. Measure from the gaging bar to the face of the
output shaft, as shown in Figure 207.
Note: Record this as Dimension "B1".
8. Measure the thickness of the gaging bar as they
vary in thickness (See Figure 207).
Note: Record this as Dimension "B2".
9. Subtract Dimension "B2" from "B1".
Note: Record this as Dimension "B".
10. Refer to the output shaft end-play chart shown
in Figure 208 to determine proper "Selective"
output shaft bearing thrust washer.
11. Install output shaft bearing thrust washer onto
the output shaft, as shown in Figure 209.
12. Install a new extension housing gasket on the
case surface, as shown in Figure 209.
13. Install the pre-assembled extension housing
onto the case, as shown in Figure 209.
14. Install the seven extension housing bolts, as
shown in Figure 209.
Note: Refer to bolt chart for identification
of extension housing bolts.
15. Torque the seven extension housing bolts down
to 22 Nm (16 ft.lb.).
Continued on Page 124