AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION SERVICE GROUP
Technical Service Information
Copyright © 2004 ATSG
VALVE BODY ASSEMBLY RETAINER AND CHECKBALL LOCATIONS
VALVE BODY ASSEMBLY (Cont'd)
8. Ensure that the valve train retainers have been
installed in their proper locations, as shown in
Note: The numbers in Figure 110 refer to the
illustration numbers in the legend on Page 65.
9. Lubricate all installed valve trains with a small
amount of Mercon V®, before installing the
valve body spacer plate.
10. Install the two .250" Viton checkballs into the
locations shown in Figure 110 and 111.
11. Install two valve body spacer plate alignment
dowels in the locations shown in Figure 111.
12. Special Note: The valve body spacer plate
has bonded gaskets on both sides, and Ford
Motor Co. recommends replacement of the
spacer plate on all rebuilds.
13. Most aftermarket gasket kits come equipped
with new valve body gaskets, but the top and
bottom gaskets are different.
14. These new gaskets may be used if you can
successfully remove the old gaskets without
damage to the spacer plate.
15. Install the new gaskets on the proper sides of
spacer plate and place over alignment dowels,
or install a new Ford spacer plate assembly, as
shown in Figure 111.
16. Install the three spacer plate retaining bolts, as
shown in Figure 111, and torque the bolts to
10 Nm (89 in.lb.).
17. Remove the alignment dowels and set the
completed valve body assembly aside for the
final assembly process.
TWO .250" DIAMETER