AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION SERVICE GROUP
Technical Service Information
Figure 97 Figure 98
Copyright © 2004 ATSG Copyright © 2004 ATSG
COMPLETED LOW SPRAG AND
REVERSE DRUM ASSEMBLY
REAR RING GEAR AND HUB ASSEMBLYLOW SPRAG AND REVERSE DRUM ASSEMBLY
1. Inspect all rear ring gear parts thoroughly as
shown in Figure 99.
2. Remove and discard the sealing ring on the rear
gear hub, as shown in Figure 99.
3. Assemble the rear ring gear hub into the rear
ring gear and install the snap ring, as shown in
4. Install a new sealing ring into the groove in the
ring gear hub, as shown in Figure 99.
Caution: This sealing ring is manufactured
with two small notches in the outside diameter
as shown in Figure 100, and must be installed
in this location.
5. Set completed rear ring gear and hub assembly,
as shown in Figure 101, aside for the final
1. The low sprag assembly is not yet available as
a service item. If the low sprag or the bearing
assembly needs replacement, the complete
reverse drum assembly must be purchased.
2. If you do take it apart, the bearing assembly
must be installed first, in the direction shown
in Figure 97.
3. Then install the low sprag assembly, with the
tabs facing down, as shown in Figure 97, until
it "Snaps" into the groove.
4. After inspection and re-assembly if necessary,
set the completed reverse drum assembly aside
for the final assembly process (See Figure 98).