AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION SERVICE GROUP
Technical Service Information
AIR CHECKING CENTER SUPPORT PASSAGES
Copyright © 2004 ATSG
CENTER SUPPORT ASSEMBLY
1. The center support assembly will require some
extra inspection to ensure it's integrity.
2. Inspect bearing race at the top of the bearing, as
shown in Figure 93, for any visable cracks.
3. If there are any visable cracks, replacement of
complete center support will be necessary, as
the bearing is not available as a service item.
4. We have seen several supports with the bearing
race cracked, as shown in Figure 94. This will
create leakage of direct and forward clutch oil,
into each others circuit.
5. If you cannot visually see any crack, install new
sealing rings onto the center support, as shown
in Figure 95.
6. The only positive way to verify the integrity of
the center support, is to assemble the forward
and direct clutch housings, with the appropriate
thrust bearings, onto the support, as shown in
7. Now air check the direct and forward clutch
passages to ensure these passages are not
Caution: This air check should be performed
with every center support assembly, and then
replaced as necessary.
8. After you have verified the integrity of center
support assembly, set the completed support
aside for the final assembly process.