AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION SERVICE GROUP
Technical Service Information
Figure 77 Figure 78
Copyright © 2001 ATSG Copyright © 2001 ATSG
DIRECT CLUTCH ASSEMBLY (Cont'd)
8. Lubricate both the inner and outer seal surfaces
in direct clutch housing with a small amount of
9. Install the completed direct clutch piston into
the direct clutch housing with twisting motion,
as shown in Figure 77.
10. Install the direct clutch piston return springs on
the direct clutch piston, as shown in Figure 78.
11. Install the direct clutch return spring retainer on
top of return springs, as shown in Figure 78.
12. Carefully compress the retainer and the return
springs and install the retaining snap ring, as
shown in Figure 78.
13. Remove the spring compressor and ensure that
everything is fully seated.
14. Install the direct clutches beginning with an
outside spline plate and alternating with inside
spline plates, until you have installed 5 of each,
as shown in Figure 79.
RETAINER SNAP RING
Caution: Friction plates should be soaked in
Mercon V® 30 minutes before installing.
15. Install the direct clutch backing plate, as shown
in Figure 79.
16. Install the direct clutch backing plate snap ring,
as shown in Figure 79 and ensure that it is fully
seated in the groove (See Figure 79).
17. Install dial indicator on top of backing plate, as
shown in Figure 81, and check the direct clutch
clearance. Should be 1.3-2.0mm (.051"-.079"),
as shown in Figure 81.
18. Change the selective backing plate snap ring as
necessary, using the chart in Figure 81, to get
the proper direct clutch clearance.
19. Set the completed direct clutch housing aside
for the final assembly process.
CAUTION: Direct Clutch friction plates are
directional and must be installed with the
internal tooth plate grooves facing clockwise,
and the external tooth plates grooves facing
counterclockwise, as shown in Figure 80.