AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION SERVICE GROUP
Technical Service Information
Copyright © 2001 ATSG
RETAINER SNAP RING
COAST CLUTCH ASSEMBLY (Cont'd)
10. Install the coast clutch piston return springs on
the coast clutch piston, as shown in Figure 66.
11. Install the coast clutch return spring retainer on
top of return springs, as shown in Figure 66.
12. Carefully compress the retainer and the return
springs and install the retaining snap ring, as
shown in Figure 66.
13. Remove the spring compressor and ensure that
everything is fully seated.
14. Install the friction and steel coast clutch plates
into the coast clutch drum, beginning with a
steel plate and alternating with a friction plate,
until you have installed two of each, as shown
in Figure 67.
CAUTION: Coast Clutch friction plates are
directional and must be installed with the
grooves facing clockwise, as shown in Figures
67 and 68. Friction plates should be soaked in
Mercon V® for at least 30 minutes before
15. Install the coast clutch backing plate, as shown
in Figure 67.
16. Install the coast clutch backing plate snap ring,
as shown in Figure 67 and ensure that it is fully
seated in the groove (See Figure 67).
17. Install dial indicator on top of backing plate, as
shown in Figure 69, and check the coast clutch
clearance. Should be 1.3-2.0mm (.051"-.079"),
as shown in Figure 69.
18. Change the selective backing plate snap ring as
necessary, using the chart in Figure 69, to get
the proper clutch clearance.
19. Set the completed coast clutch housing aside
for the final assembly process.